Breakfast Maca Protein Bars
Many traditional bars are full of sugars – whether in the form of added syrups or dried fruit. This is a delicious low sugar, high-protein alternative which can be made gluten-free if desired. The addition of maca powder gives these bars a fabulously nutty and mild caramel flavour, and is a perfect way to help energise your morning.
Maca is a well-known adaptogen which can help the body cope with daily stress, and consuming maca often makes people feel more energised and alert through the day. It is also a useful source of additional nutrients including calcium, magnesium, amino acids and B vitamins.
Make up a batch of these bars and store them in the freezer or fridge for an easy grab and go breakfast option. They also make the perfect afternoon snack or post-workout treat!
Swap out the porridge oats for gluten-free flour for a tasty treat that can be enjoyed by all.
Makes 12 bars
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 2 minutes, plus 1 hour freezing
75g coconut oil or cacao butter
1 heaped tbsp almond nut butter
2 tbsp xylitol, finely ground
100g/3½oz/1 cup gluten-free or regular porridge oats
70g vanilla or chocolate protein powder
30g raw cacao powder
1 tbsp vanilla extract
50g maca powder
4 tbsp mixed seeds
4 tbsp almond milk to blend
- Line a 20cm/8in square baking pan with baking parchment.
- Put the coconut oil, nut butter and xylitol in a saucepan and gently heat to melt the coconut oil.
- Put the oats in a mixing bowl with the protein powder, cacao powder, maca, seeds and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add the coconut oil mixture and stir to combine. Add enough almond milk to form a soft, slightly sticky dough.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan, then spread out and smooth the surface pressing down slightly. Put in the freezer for 1 hour to harden.
- Cut into 12 bars and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutritional Information (per bar)
188kcal, Fat 10.7g, Saturates 6.1g, Carbohydrates 13.8g, Sugars 0.1g, Fibre 1.7g, Protein 8.3g
Fancy having a go at making them? Share your finished batch with us on social media using #RioRecipes!