Lemon Matcha Berry Muffins
Not only is matcha a buzzword in the wellness arena, it also makes a healthy addition to lots of tasty recipes! And, with the Great British Bake Off once again sparking our passion for baking, we’re raring to try something new.
This recipe for fabulously moist muffins is packed with antioxidant-rich berries and matcha green tea powder for a delicious anti-inflammatory treat. The muffins also contain olive oil, which keeps them lovely and moist, and dairy-free. They’ll keep in the fridge for 3-4 days, or you can enjoy them for a whole month by freezing them.
Looking for a gluten free option? Simply swap the flour to gluten free in this recipe!
Makes 10 muffins
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes, plus cooling
50ml olive oil
190g nut butter e.g almond nut butter
80g gluten free self raising flour or regular self raising flour
1tbsp matcha powder
zest and juice of 1 lemon
2 tbsp desiccated coconut
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp baking powder
100g frozen blueberries or raspberries
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, Gas mark 4 and grease a 10-cup muffin tray.
- Put all the ingredients, except the blueberries, into a food processor and whiz to form a smooth batter.
- Add the blueberries and pulse very briefly or simply stir them in to prevent breaking up the blueberries too much.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin cups.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden and cooked through and firm to the touch.
- Cool in the tin.
Nutritional Information (per muffin)
259kcal, Fat 17.5g, Saturates 3.7g, Carbohydrates 13.7g, Sugars 1.9g, Fibre 3.8g, Protein 9.9g.
Fancy having a go at making them? Share your finished batch with us on social media using #RioRecipes!